Saturday 14 July 2018

Day 6 - Scorching

At Lidl just before 11.00am this morning when we came out of the shop with our messages, it was already 28.5C.

So the day was set to be hot and indeed it was. I thought it would top 30C in the afternoon but in fact some clouds appeared and then we had a few rumbles of thunder before a sharp shower at around 4pm. Almost immediately the sun reappeared for the rest of the day and as I write this the temperature has soared back up to nearly 28C at 9.00pm!

As a result the lake is now warmer than at any point we have experienced it here since 2012. I have to go back to the fabulous summers of 2011 and 2010 to remember the water being as comfortable as it is now to swim in. That has been great for everyone, and there has been great lengthy swims and long periods in the water for Anna, Olga, me, Keith and Sandy, Olivia and especially Arnold too. Arnold has grown in confidence during the last few days in his swimming abilities, and is now confidently leaping off the jetty with his arm bands to help support him. Bearing in mind that he hasn't been in swimming anywhere since last summer here, that's nice to see.
This afternoon I had a small disaster. Throwing logs into the woodburning sauna stove, I broke the glass pane in the door of the stove by accident. After a quick search on the internet, I found a large shop similar to B&Q in the UK that I thought would possibly stock replacement parts so I set off for the 20 minute journey in the van. When I showed the photo to the chap there, he immediately gave me a replacement, telling me it was the 5th one he had sold today! Seems it's a common thing to happen on these stoves!



This evening, we have enjoyed watching Belgium claim 3rd place in the World Cup on TV at the expense of England. I'm only sorry I haven't been able to see the faces of the studio commentators back in the UK to see how they dealt with the fact that England didn't turn out to be the world beaters these arrogant fools were convinced they were. When will they wake up? Being humbled by two nations of 4 million and 11 million over the past few days must surely hurt. Hahaha. 😁

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 14 - Hot, Sunny, Perfect!

Every year we have been coming to Finland in the summer, I always pray for glorious weather. Sometimes we've been lucky; I'll never...